Pages

Thursday, August 7, 2014

What the Heck Have I Been Up To???

While browsing some past posts I realized that I started a lot of projects and left you hanging. Some are so close to being done but just not where I wanted them yet. And since I'm a perfectionist it's hard to share them without them being totally complete.

But....there are a couple things I will share...

First off...I did start another furniture DIY update. And finished it.

It's AWESOME!!!

My husbands Great Aunt gave us an old desk, and while I didn't know what I was going to do with it at the time, I thought that it was worth hanging on to. (I may be in the beginning stages of the "keep everything" disease. It's a good think we have LOTS of storage.) I'm so glad that I did. I'm working on a room for myself, to spend time blogging and working on my Mary Kay business. A "woman cave" one could say. I discovered a desk on Pinterest and that has been my inspiration. I thought that I must have a desk like that. And now, thanks to some left over paint made into this DIY chalk paint and a few hours time, I do. It's pretty fabulous and I'm super proud of myself for pulling it off.

BEFORE. I may have gotten a little excited and forgot to
take a photo until after I sanded the top.

The desk was very used and abused. I'm still curious how old it is.

Are you ready for it? Can you stand it? Ah! It's so cool I can't stand it!

AFTER. My very own custom desk.

I distressed the edges and details throughout the desk.
I also kept the original desk handles.

Oh I just love the distressed look.

My stained and satin finish desktop. I kept it similar to the original color.

There are a million and one DIY posts on how to repaint furniture. So I'm not going to get into all that. However, I'm going to mention this: Chalk paint is awesome because you are not required to sand and prime. Bam! Amazing right? So I only had to sand the top that I was staining and I didn't worry about the nooks and crannies because I was OK with some dark edges. The rest of the desk got a very light sanding and cleaned up and then the painting began. It was actually done being painted in about 2 days. Then it was a matter of waxing and finishing the top. All in all, I'm pretty stoked that it only took me a week to do. You know, in between eating, sleeping and working.

Now that the desk is done, next on my list is painting and organizing my little room. My desk is patiently hanging out in the spare room until I get my butt in gear. There is just way too much to do and not enough time in a day!

Next up: Bathroom update and Kitchen update. But alas, it's bed time for this girl! You'll just have to wait another day! Can't wait to share some more with you!

Good night folks! 


2 comments:

  1. WOW! You have a LOT of talent. This is PINTEREST worthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That is really cool to hear! I've been thinking about making my posts more about DIY learn as you go projects. I'm definitely a Pinterest junkie myself!

      Delete