Pages

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

A Baby Blurp...

I'll make this post short and sweet since I'm sure I will find something to write about the 4th of July which is only a day away! (Time flies when you're having fun!)

I just have to say how much fun I had with babies this weekend. I have always loved children. Hence, why I gave horse riding lessons for so many years. But I usually prefer "my" children ages 4 and up. That's when I consider them fun. They are talking and running and just being FUN! (And they are NEVER sassy to someone who's letting them ride a horse!) But babies...BABIES TERRIFY ME! Or they normally do. I never did much babysitting when I was young (with the exception of children that could take themselves to the bathroom) and I was an only child all my life. Now my step mom and father have 2 younger children but when they were babies I still wasn't around them all the time and I never lived with them. So with the little experience that I have with them, they seem a bit scary and intimidating.

Whatever do I mean???

Well they have wobbly little heads for the first few months, so picking them up is always awkward for me. I feel like I'm going to be the person that is responsible for head and neck trauma. They ALWAYS cry when I hold them and I feel like they hate me. AND they are also great for puking on ME. Now don't get me wrong. I want children. I just have always wanted to snap my fingers and have one appear at the ripe age of 2. No putting weight on...no morning sickness...no sleepless nights...no fearing I might break a baby...you get the idea.

But this weekend was an eye opener for me. We had some friends over that we haven't hung out with in a while. One couple has an 8 month old and another couple has a little girl that is 12 weeks. I'll admit, I was excited to see them but I was slightly concerned that having two babies over would result in a non-relaxing evening. But that wasn't the case at all. I had so much fun watching the 8 month old crawl EVERYWHERE and chasing Rudy the wiener dog, grabbing the dog toys and just looking to see what else she could get into. She had so much personality, it was like having free entertainment. And I LOVED holding and squeezing the little bitty one. She seemed to actually LIKE me. And she smelled like... baby. It was shocking to realize that I could do this. I could have one of these little tykes and be totally, 100% ok with that. Maybe I'm really growing up after all.

Now I'm not going to start scaring Tony with talk about babies and I'm not going to start planning when I want one. I'm happy with letting things land as they fall. I believe that everything happens for a reason and I'm content just looking forward to the married life. BUT in the mean time.....I'm all for friends bringing their little ones around and breaking me in gently. :)

............
And as a little sweet addition, I have to mention that when I have guests over, I always bake something. I made two successful, delectable desserts, that were both given rave reviews. Here is the recipe I used for my S'more Bars and this is for the Banana Butterscotch Chip Bread, courtesy of www.allrecipes.com. I want to hear your opinions if you try your hand at either of these satisfying sweets.



No comments:

Post a Comment