Pages

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Self Challenge...

I want to start by thanking a friend for being supportive and giving me some encouraging advice. Amazing how just a few simple words can make a person feel empowered.

You're probably wondering what the heck I'm talking about.

Most of you know that I decided to get into a little business called Mary Kay. I wear it, I love it; so I can honestly say I swear by it. But that's not the only reason that I got into it.

For starters, my whole life I have loved making people feel good. As a teenager, I didn't have a ton of self confidence until about my Junior/Senior year in high school. Over time, I have learned that confidence comes from accepting who you are and not constantly comparing yourself to a) a friend b) the girl you love to hate because she's so dang pretty and c) the unachievable model/actress glossy magazine photo's that have been photo-shopped to smithereens. Love your freckles, your beauty marks, your curves and/or lack of curves. You were made to be exactly who you are.

Example A) Teaching horse back riding lessons. This is a great form of confidence boosting to people of all ages but most especially children. You don't have to be tall, fast or beautiful to succeed at horse back riding. But the right form, the right skills and the right color combinations can make a statement that will make you one of the best. When you know you look good, you will ooze confidence.

Example B) Selling wedding gowns. It doesn't matter what shape a bride is, when she has found the right dress that makes her feel like the prettiest bride on earth, I have done my job. The right fit (to emphasize the assets), color and amount of bling will make a woman feel sexy, classy and gorgeous. When she feels all these things, she will be more excited about her big day and she isn't going to question who she is. When it comes to that special day, she knows exactly who she is and her confidence will make her shine.

Lastly, example C) Selling makeup. Whether a woman wears none or she looks like a showstopper, she still wants to feel beautiful. At the same time, she wants to look in a mirror and see herself. This is what I want to encourage. I do not want to create clones. Not everyone should wear the same eye color, or as much eye-liner, or any eye makeup for that matter. But, if a woman doesn't wear makeup, shouldn't her skin look dynamite?? And if a woman wants to wear makeup, shouldn't she be able to know what looks best on her without spending a fortune that she cannot return if she's not happy? Or what if a woman was never taught the best way to apply makeup? This is why I decided to sell Mary Kay. Because I (ME. Little ol' me...who had to teach myself how to wear it) get to help people look and feel spectacular. I'm not sure about some of you but when my skin is looking great I have confidence and when I'm having a stellar makeup day, I feel like a million bucks. This is what I want people to know: I'm starting my own MK business because I care. I think everyone deserves to feel fabulous and why not reflect how beautiful you are on the inside, on the outside as well. Nothing can accomplish more in this world than a woman with a smile.

But now here's something I'll bet you didn't know. I get scared. I am afraid of failure. I don't want to look like an idiot. Seriously. I have confidence in myself but yet, I let these things hold me back. Because I put so much pressure on myself to succeed that I'm worried that I won't do well right away. How foolish of me, right? I want to help people be confident and here I am worried that I might not be perfect. Well, this is where that friend opened my eyes. She said you have to start somewhere. And then she told me how she started wearing MK and I thought, wow. That was an easy and painless conversation. I can do that.

I don't want to be pushy. I don't want to be intimidating.

I want to be a girlfriend. I want to be fun and informative. I want to help spread confidence.

I can do this. I will do this.

So I'm giving myself a little challenge...

Starting today (well, it's 11:00 PM...so maybe tomorrow) I'm going to do one thing each day that will get me out of my comfort zone and help me achieve the success that I want. I'm going to put myself out there and see where it gets me. All my life I've wanted to be known for something I'm good at. I can't do this sitting on the sidelines.

"Success isn't about how much money you make, it's about the difference you make in people's lives."

Thanks for listening friends. Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment