Pages

Sunday, October 14, 2012

A Lazy Weekend

It was an icky weekend. Rain, rain and more rain. It was cold. And did I mention rain? But we did need it. And I welcomed it. I needed a weekend that would keep me in the house. So I could be lazy. And watch numerous episodes of Say Yes to the Dress (which didn't happen). I wanted to just have a totally unproductive weekend.

But then being lazy resulted in the urge to bake. Because that meant I could be lazy and eat cookies when I was done, right? I see nothing wrong with this theory. Except that never actually happened either. I baked and then baked some more. And then I made dinner. And after that it was time to go out for a couple cocktails with some friends (and one can't complain about that!). So I can honestly say after day one of my "lazy weekend" I was tired from standing and baking all day but I did get some pretty yummy cookies to share with you. AND I slept like a baby.

Our night out. (P.S. I gave myself a new look...bangs!)

Thankfully, today was a more successful lazy day. We went to a 3 year old's birthday party, which everyone knows....all you do is eat lots of food until you're stuffed to the max...and then eat cake. But at least I was able to relax. However, thanks to football I still didn't get to watch all my chick shows. But I did get to eat some cookies. So I guess I could call it a winning weekend. Even though it didn't go the way I had imagined, I can see the silver lining. Relax + eat cookies = successful lazy weekend.

On that positive note, here is one of the two cookie recipes I made this weekend: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies!

I hope everyone else had a great weekend. Hopefully the rain helped you accomplish something on your "to do" list! :)

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies 

Adapted from www.allrecipes.com

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 egg
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon *
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp milk
  • 1 Tbs vanilla extract
  • 2 cups chocolate chips
* Recipe calls for 2 teaspoon cinnamon but after reading some reviews I decided to cut it down to 1 teaspoon and add 1 teaspoon nutmeg as well as 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice. I think I will add 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice the next time I make these. It all depends on how much you want them to taste like actual pumpkin pie!  Also optional is 1/2 cup Walnuts.

Directions:

 Combine pumpkin, sugar, vegetable oil and egg in large bowl. 

Stir together until mixed well.

In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon and salt.
Dissolve the baking soda with the milk and stir in.

If you want a more pumpkin pie flavor I recommend
adding pumpkin pie spice and nutmeg.


Now add the flower mixture to pumpkin mixture and mix well.

Add vanilla, chocolate chips (and nuts if you wish to do so). 
Drop by spoonful on greased cookie sheet and bake 350 degrees for 
approximately 10 minutes or until lightly brown and firm. Mine didn't
turn brown but if you poke them you can tell when they start getting firm.


Once done, let stand on cookie sheet for a minute or two and then remove to cooling racks. Look at these babies. (I couldn't wait to try them and let me tell you....they are just as good as a regular chocolate chip cookie fresh from the oven!)


Trust me, you will not be able to stop eating these. Plan on having someone to give some too, so you don't find yourself eating the ENTIRE batch...

No comments:

Post a Comment