Pages

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Memory Lane...

I'm using my last week in my twenties to reminisce about some of my greatest memories. Funny how when you want to write them down you suddenly cannot remember all of them. I remember thinking as a kid that I would never forget my best days. Pffff.....kids. We think we know everything. Reason # umpteenth that I should really start keeping a journal.

One memory that I will never forget and always be thankful for is the time I was able to train horses as a career.

Best moment(s) #6

Jack and I after he sold. It was our
last picture together.
During the few years that I was able to train horses, one touched me in a way I cannot explain. We just went together like....peas and carrots. He was ornery, stubborn, difficult and I just loved him.  His name was Graycliff Jack Star. I had started training him and the owner wanted to send him somewhere else for finishing. She knew he was a great horse and had big hopes for him. But...so did I. I was absolutely devastated thinking about someone else having the opportunity to finish him and being the first to take him in the ring. I WANTED this horse. Me buying him was not an option so I desperately searched for someone to make an investment and take a huge leap of faith...in ME. I finally found that special person. And no one ever knew...she was family. Yep. Family. Tell me that doesn't show some faith! I still can't believe she did it just to give me a fair chance but she did and I'm so thankful. I told you I have a great family.

I was 24 (I think....this remembering years/ages is tricky) and had worked with some nice horses ( I loved absolutely every one I had the pleasure of working with) but Jack was special. He could really get noticed. And we did. The first year everyone thought he was cool but we still had some kinks to work out. The very first time we entered the show ring (they have you enter at a trot) he got about 3 strides in, saw an audience in the stands and whipped a 180 and out the gate we went. It took a few people to get us back in the ring but boy, he made me laugh! How an animal that big (and he was BIG) could be such a scaredy cat was beyond me. He definitely gave me more patience and he made me a better trainer.

Winning Reserve Champ
at Morgan Masterpiece
Fast forward a year and Jack was D-Y-N-A-M-I-T-E! We went to a regional horse show in Ohio, called Gold Cup (loved that show!) and for the first time ever we had a "fan club". Our first class we placed second, right underneath an amazing trainer. I was so proud of him since we beat out some other very nice horses and known trainers. It was a big moment for me. I had people coming up to me that night after the class telling me they thought I should have won. It didn't matter that I didn't win. The compliments alone meant a lot. And that is how Jack caught the eye of a woman that wanted to buy him.

He sold later in the season at our last regional show of the year. I was so excited to show him but I never got the chance. She bought him at the beginning of the show and since she wanted to qualify both of them for Nationals she wanted to show him right away. I'll never forget how I felt helping them get ready for their first class together. I was like a proud and nervous mom. Enter 15 other gorgeous horses in the ring and who won? We did! And by we I mean they, but I did help get them there. It was awesome! First time out and totally rocked it. Proud. Mom. Moment.

Jack winning a Grand National title.
It never mattered that I didn't own that horse. Jack was my special guy. I cried most of the drive home from that show knowing that he wasn't in my trailer on his way home with me. But I still loved knowing that he was doing great things with his new owner. Like winning Grand National titles. I followed his whereabouts for the next couple years. I heard he sold again and I didn't know to whom or where he was. I eventually heard from a friend that he was with a certain barn. I found her on facebook, sent her a message and received a reply that a young boy was riding him. Then for the best moment ever. ON MY 29th BIRTHDAY I received a message from the mother of this boy telling me they puffy heart loved him, he was spoiled rotten and she would make sure to keep me posted on how Jack was doing. I balled. Best present ever. Still can't explain my attachment to this horse. Like I said, we were like peas and carrots....

I'm still convinced that one day I will see him again in person and I will hug him and kiss him and he will remember who I am. And yes, I will cry my heart out but they will be tears of joy.

Thank you Luann for giving me the best experience of my horse training days. Jack will always be one of the greatest things that happened to me.
 
The picture I was sent from the new owners.
He was a surprise for their son on Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment