Pages

Friday, November 9, 2012

The Biggest Thrill

3 more days!!

I thought I knew exactly what my third favorite moment in my 20's was and then I realized...it was what started that memory that was even better.

Favorite Memory #3

Every time I look at Dash I can't get over how lucky I am to call him mine. When he was born I told him he had big "shoes" to fill since he's Graycliff Jack Star's cousin (and since he was on my favorite's list you know how much I loved him!) and I think he's definitely done all that and more. His registered name is Blackwolf Steal Yo Thunda' and he makes the list, since he is my first home bred foal.

Look at that tiny little butt!
Watching one of your beloved mares have her very first foal is the most thrilling moment. It's almost as good as having your own child (although I say this without actually any knowledge of having my own child...but still...this is my blog). Then to watch the little fella grow and thinking that one day you will actually get to ride him. It's an amazing experience. Sometimes it's hard to believe he was ever that tiny. I remember thinking it was going to be the longest 3 years of my life until I could start training him. Now I can hardly believe five years has flown by already.

But as much as having him come into my life is one of my most favorite moments that I will never ever forget...it's how I was able to have such a blessing that is my most cherished. Funny how you almost forget the little things that really aren't so little when you think about it.

It was actually a day that I was driving with my dad. We were traveling, to Kentucky or Ohio I think, hauling a horse for someone. Back in "the ol days" my dad was actually a big part of my horse addiction/hobby/career. I would look at endless horse magazines while he drove; I would talk about this horse and that horse and he would have no idea who I was talking about but he let me go on and on. Oh I miss those days....sigh.....ANYWAYS....out of the blue he said "I have a secret that I'm not supposed to tell you but I really want to..."

So yeah...what's a girl to do with that statement? Like I'm just going to say "OK don't tell me"?

Of course I asked what he was talking about. And it didn't take much arm twisting. The next words were the most awesomest thing I'd ever heard: "I have a breeding to....blah blah blah" (non of you really care so we'll just say a horse.)

Say what? I had been in love with that horse from the first moment I saw him. And not just because he was big and black. Well, the big part was a factor since GoGo is practically a midget horse, but he was also smart, sweet, calm, solid, correctly built and had a park career in his day (for you non horsey people....that means he had a very very very pretty trot). But never did I think I would be able to have my very own foal (horse baby) by him!

Turns out my Dad had done some technical work for the stallions owners and was given the choice of a puppy (for him and my mom) or a breeding (for me). How many dads would pick something for their daughter over a puppy??? And maybe I should mention that while I've always called him dad, he's actually my step dad. So better question...how many step-dads would pick something for their step-daughter over a puppy? A cute, fluffy puppy???

So THAT'S my favorite moment. Driving along and having my dad tell me a secret that he's not supposed to break to me yet and having it be something I had always wished for. Thanks Pops!



Dash and I winning a Reserve Championship
at The Morgan Masterpiece 2012.












No comments:

Post a Comment