Pages

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

People Make the Moments Special

Since I trained horses up until about 3 years ago most of my favorite moments are horse related. Through those years I worked with some amazing people and some really fantastic kids. I have watched some pretty cool kids achieve some of their most difficult goals.

...Like Miss Fox overcoming A.D.D and rocking the equitation patterns.

...And Yobe conquering saddle seat and finally winning her blue on her first horse.

...Little L overcoming her fear and learning to canter and then making it to regionals.

...M.H working patterns on a pattern green horse and earning a 4th at a regional show in the Hunt Seat AMHA Medal.

...And definitely watching Miss Libs beat some of her stiff competition for the first time and coming out of the ring with a 1000 watt smile.

And soooo many more that have all been stellar moments in my life.

But there is one family that will always stand out because they are still in my life to this day. Maybe not as much as I would like but I will always consider them apart of my family.

Favorite memory # 5:

I met my "sista' from anotha' motha' " when she was 10. Long story short BryBee started riding one of my horses while she owned an Appaloosa that was a little difficult for her to ride. We had her start riding walk/trot at a couple of the more local A rated shows and she was hooked. Fast forward a couple years, the Appaloosa was sold and her family purchased her, her very first Morgan.

The reason BryBee was different than the others is she used to go to the shows without her family and she would stay with my dad and I. She became my little sister. She even had a room at my parents that they called "Bry's Room". She started wearing my clothes at the age of 13! She was my mini-me. :) (Oh...and did I mention that she's actually going to be my Maid of Honor in our wedding? She's still my mini-me!! )

Watching BryBee grow from a gangly little kid to a young woman was truly a blessing. To see someone evolve and knowing that you were a part of that is a feeling to treasure. She went from riding my horse Jess walk/trot to learning to canter and then moved on to her new horse RusticV's Thunderheart. Her and T.H were a sight to behold. They totally kicked butt at every show they went to. This was the little girl who started out riding western, thumping around on a stubborn Appaloosa and kicking her short little legs incessantly just to get him to trot.

Gold Cup Equit. Champs 13 & under
BryBee and T.H, along with her Grandma S, finally got the chance to attend Gold Cup (a regional show). (Now here is where I'm going to mention briefly that I have never had a hunt seat lesson in my life. I learn by watching. And I love equitation, which is all about proper form and handling the horse effortlessly.) She did very well in the pleasure classes but when it came time for the equitation classes she blew me away. She rode like the winner she was and earned herself the blue! Our very first blue at a regional level! We were so excited!!! Grandma S was practically dancing and you could hear all her jewelry just a jingling throughout the barn. I was on cloud 9. I'm not even sure what BreBee felt like if I was that happy. To make the show even better she dominated the equitation championship later that weekend. To pull off two wins at that show was such an accomplishment for all of us. This wasn't our territory. Most of the other riders and trainers had no idea who we were. Ohhh...if I could just relive that moment one more time....

She was ecstatic. We may have
overdone the photo taking...

But now for my favorite memory...(yes this trumps the last one)...Grand Nationals & World Championship Horse Show in OKC, OK. Oh how I miss that show. For you non horse people, picture leather sofas, indoor water fountains, crystal chandeliers and lots of parties all in multiple horse barns. Seriously the most ridiculously extravagant decor you can imagine but it just lends to the feeling that anything is possible at this show. A horse show with magic. Yup. There is definitely magic involved. I can still smell the arena shavings and remember the thrill of trotting into that gigantic ring. I had the pleasure of riding some nice horses in that arena but I don't think those memories are near as great as those of watching BryBee and T.H compete. Their first nationals together was completely awesome. We knew it was possible to place top 10's and to have a super duper great time and make some really great memories but we certainly didn't expect the results we got!


I swear nothing beats the food you will eat in Oklahoma and the drinks and the parties. The socializing and the late nights. The laughs and oh yes...the horse shopping. So as I mentioned, we knew we were going to have a blast. But after BryBee's first class of the show we were completely floored. She came out Reserve Grand National Equitation Hunt Seat in her age division. Whooo baby! The rest became a blur. I don't remember what we said or what we did after. All I can remember is laughing and giving T.H a hundred (maybe even a thousand?) peppermints and hugs, hugs and more hugs. Never in a million years did I think I would get to experience the moment of being little ol' me and watching a rider that I taught do this well at Nationals. I hoped but I certainly never planned on it. And to prevent this post from becoming a novel...let's just say the show was one to remember forever. BryBee made it back to the finals of the AMHA Gold Medal class at Nationals (the finals consist of 12 riders, cut down from 40+ riders), placed top 10 in the equitation finals and was 3rd in the World Champion Hunter Pleasure for her age division. 3rd!!! Out of 21 kids! (I couldn't forget to mention that part!)

It was a show I'll never forget. I keep praying that some year I will get to experience that rush again. I keep thinking about how rewarding it would be to ride my own Black Wolf prefixed horse down that chute, even if it was just once.

So thank you Grandma S and BryBee for letting me have those glorious moments that I will remember over and over. All of those fun times over dinner, our jokes, the tears, the hugs, the pep talks and the road trips were unforgettable.

And thanks to all of the others that gave me the opportunity to work with them and their horses. Everyone of you helped me become the person that I am today and for that I will always be grateful.

I miss training horses and working with their owners and riders every day of my life but I am continually thankful to God for letting me have had the chance to live my dream for at least a part of my life. I will always have the horses and I know they will continue to give me great memories but I feel that my 30's are going to give me so many new and exciting experiences. I can't wait to share some more great moments with the special people in my life.

And off the subject...

 Day # 6 & 7 of my photo-a-day contest for the Country Outfitters were....

Day #6 Warm
It isn't Starbucks but it'll do...Pumpkin
Spice Cappuccino after voting!

#7 Roots
 
My grandmother....where the horse gene began.



No comments:

Post a Comment